Hope Public Schools Homeless Program
IF YOUR FAMILY LIVES IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS:
- In a shelter
- In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
- In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
- Doubled-up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
Then your school-age children may qualify for certain fights and Protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
IF YOUR CHILDREN ARE ELIGIBLE, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.
*if the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.
if you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison in their school district to find out what services and supports may be available. There also may be supports available for your preschool-age children.